Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many. Making lasagna at home is easier than you might think, and it can be a great way to impress your family and friends. Here are some tips and recipes to help you make lasagna at home easily:
Tips for Making Lasagna at Home
- Use store-bought pasta sauce that tastes great. This will save you time and effort, and you can still achieve great results.
- Make sure the lasagna noodles are completely covered in the sauce. This will prevent them from drying out and becoming hard.
- Let the lasagna rest on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before slicing a square. This will help the lasagna set and make it easier to cut.
- Use a large pot of boiling salted water to cook the lasagna noodles. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Cook the lasagna noodles "al dente" so they’ll still have quite a bite to them. This will prevent them from becoming too soft and mushy.
- Mix the ricotta cheese with an egg and some Parmesan cheese. This will help the cheese mixture hold together and give it a richer flavor.
- Layer the lasagna in a 9x13 inch baking dish. This is the perfect size for a standard lasagna recipe.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil while baking. This will prevent it from drying out and becoming hard.
- Bake the lasagna in two stages. First, bake it covered with aluminum foil to retain the moisture. Then, remove the foil, top with cheese, and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, or until the top is browned and the lasagna is bubbling.
What is the shelf life of lasagna made at home?
Lasagna can have a shelf life of 3 to 6 days in the fridge but in case you want to extend the life of the lasagna it is best to cover it properly and store it in the freezer which lasts for 1 to 2 months.
How to know if the lasagna has gone bad which is made at home?
The lasagna has a very acidic smelly odor of tomato sauce and cheese. The other way to know is to look for the dried texture of the pasta on the lasagna.
Beginners way of making an easy lasagna at home:
This recipe is perfect for beginners who want to make lasagna at home easily. It uses store-bought pasta sauce and requires only 20 minutes of prep time.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 15-ounce package of whole milk ricotta
- 3 ½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onion, and cook until beef has browned and onion has softened.
4. Add crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
6. Spread 1 cup of tomato mixture onto the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with a second layer. Top with remaining noodles, tomato mixture, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bubbling. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is brown
Advanced way of making lasagna at home for occasions:
This recipe is a bit more involved, but it's worth the effort. It uses homemade meat sauce and cheese mixture, and it's perfect for special occasions.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, cook ground beef, sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until browned. Drain off excess fat.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Stir in sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water.
4. In a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining parsley.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 lasagna noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one-half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Making lasagna at home can be a fun and rewarding experience. With these tips and recipes, you can make lasagna easily and impress your family and friends with your cooking skills.